Photos from artist residency with the Wrangell Mountains Center, McCarthy, Alaska (August 2014)
Fresh News and Coming Events
Dec. 8 -- terrain.org just published an excerpt from pH. Find it here.
Watch here for upcoming events and details.
Please contact me if you're interested in a reading, workshop, talk, visit, or interview.
I write monthly book reviews for the Anchorage Daily News (previously Alaska Dispatch News.) These are of books (not self-published) by Alaskans or with Alaskan content. Feel free to alert me to new books or send review copies!
I teach on-line courses for the Johns Hopkins Science Writing Program.
See my Letter to America at terrain.org
I've been reading a lot of "science in fiction" recently. Here are a few novels and story collections I can recommend:
* Ian McEwan's Solar
* Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior
* T. C. Boyle's When the Killing's Done
* Andrea Barrett, any of her work but I especially like the short story collections Ship Fever and Archangel
* Jean Hegland's Still Time
* Anthony Doerr's The Shell Collector
* Amitav Ghosh's The Hungry Tide
* Margaret Atwood generally
* Alan Lightman's Einstein's Dreams
* Andromeda Romano-Lax's Behave
* Simon Mawer's Mendel's Dwarf
* Melville's Moby-Dick