Photos from artist residency with the Wrangell Mountains Center, McCarthy, Alaska (August 2014)
Fresh News and Coming Events
Please contact me if you're interested in a reading, workshop, talk, visit, or interview.
This summer I will be on the faculty of the North Words Writers Symposium and the Kachemak Bay Writers Conference. I will also be on a panel at the ASLE conference in Davis, California.
Recent and forthcoming publications:
"Adak Island: Aleutian Crossroads" (article), Alaska Magazine, July-August 2019
"Whose Words These Are" (essay) in The Hopper, 2018
“The Flat Earth Society, 1985” (story) in Catamaran, Vol. 6 Issue 1, 2018
“Come Help Me” (story), winner of Green Stories competition, publication in Resurrection Trust (anthology), Retreat West, 2019
"The Lonely Islands" (essay), forthcoming in Alaska Quarterly Review with a photo essay by Irene Owsley
"Let Them Tell You" (story), forthcoming in Saltfront: Studies in Human Habit(at)
I write monthly book reviews for the Anchorage Daily News (previously Alaska Dispatch News.) These are of books (not self-published) by Alaskans or with Alaskan content. Feel free to alert me to new books or send review copies!
I've been reading a lot of "science in fiction" recently. Here are a few novels and story collections I recommend:
* Ian McEwan's Solar
* Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior
* T. C. Boyle's When the Killing's Done
* Andrea Barrett, any of her work but I especially like the short story collections Ship Fever and Archangel
* Jean Hegland's Still Time
* Anthony Doerr's The Shell Collector
* Amitav Ghosh's The Hungry Tide
* Margaret Atwood generally
* Alan Lightman's Einstein's Dreams
* Andromeda Romano-Lax's Behave
* Simon Mawer's Mendel's Dwarf